Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Market Moments


It's been a crazy week here, as I embark on my quest to enter the workforce, Cali's 15% unemployment rate be damned! It's pretty stressful, but oogling gorgeous produce always puts me in a better mood. On that note, I offer you some more moments from the farmer's market (Santa Monica this time). Enjoy!








I can never get over the sheer vibrancy of the colors. It's a literal rainbow of fruits and veggies (including those lovely orange raspberries, which I've never seen before)!


Peach season is nearing its end (along with plums and pluots, sniff, I will miss them), but that doesn't stop the farmers from bringing in peaches the size of softballs.


Heirloom tomato season, on the other hand, seems to be in full swing.


Zucchini are sticking around, too (along with their flowers!)


I love scoping out the more exotic items, like the dragonfruit I first fell in love with in Barcelona.


And nopales, or cactus. Apparently a popular salad ingredient, don't think I've ever tried it though.


Black currants, which I've never seen outside of candy or jelly format (the British are crazy for currant anything, so I got a good dose of black currant-flavored foodstuffs while studying there last year).


What I thought were mini melons turned out to be lemon cucumbers. They tasted pretty much like regular cucumbers to me, maybe just a bit sweeter, but aren't they so much cuter?


Fresh dates, also something I've never encountered. Surprisingly crunchy, I think I prefer the dried ones for being more soft and sweet. Interesting to see how they grow though.


If you're a meat-eater you've get a veritable petting zoo of choices (the rabbit's fresh).


And happy little (actually quite large) crabbies for the seafood lovers!

OK, that's all I've got for now. I'm going to the SM market again tomorrow, so maybe I'll find something interesting to put up here again. If not, the next time you'll hear from me will probably not be til after I get back from Arizona this weekend. That's right, I'm off the land of guns and 100+ temps to visit the bf. C ya!











No comments:

Post a Comment