Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Busy, Busy, Busy...


My blog has been a bit quiet as of late: real life is intervening as I continue my hunt for work (besides temp work, that is). I also haven’t been cooking much as Todd has been out of town, but now that he is back hopefully that will change. I should have some material from this weekend, but until then I decided to do something a bit fun. If you are a reader of food blogs or a blogger yourself, you have likely at some point run across The Omnivore’s 100, a list put together back in 2008 by UK blogger Andrew of Very Good Taste. It’s a compilation of 100 foods every omnivore should try – bold-face everything you’ve tried (even if it was just a taste), and put a line through anything you never, ever intend to try. Turns out my diet is more varied/adventurous than I thought! Try it for yourself, it’s quite fun; I know there are a few similar lists floating around the Internet that I might do later.

Also, I am now interning at two online publications: Edible Westside, a blog about local food and food-related goings on in Los Angeles, and ULife, a brand-new lifestyle website geared toward university students where I write articles about, you guessed it, food (mostly at least)! If you live in LA Edible Westside is a good place to find out about foodie news and events in the area, while ULife is an eclectic, fun site for college students (and really anybody else too, I think!). Check them out!

And now, my version of The Omnivore’s 100:

1.    Venison (I actually might have tried this at some point, most likely in sausage form at Burough Market in London, but since I’m not positive I won’t count it)
2.     Nettle tea
3.     Huevos rancheros
4.     Steak tartare
5.     Crocodile (it was actually alligator, but I’m counting it)
6.     Black pudding
7.     Cheese fondue
8.     Carp
9.     Borscht
10. Baba ganoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich (OK seriously, who hasn’t eaten this?)
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses (I’m actually not sure about this one, I’ve eaten a lot of runny cheese in my life; like the venison, I won’t count it til I’m sure)
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch bonnet pepper (Don’t really fancy burning my mouth)
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl (I’ve had plenty of clam chowder, of course, but I don’t think in a bread bowl)
33. Salted lassi (But I have had a sweet lassi – mango, yum!)
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a  fat cigar (don’t do cigars, sorry)
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat (Another one I think I may have tried at an Indian buffet once, but again unsure – could have been lamb, or anything really)
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal
44. Goats milk (only in cheese form!)
45. Malt whiskey from a bottle worth $120 or more
46. Fugu (not worth the risk of death for a fish)
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut (not my favorite, honestly, though I’ve never had a hot one, which is supposedly amazing)
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear (in a Margarita)
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal (no desire…now if it’s chicken nuggets, we can talk)
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake (all except elephant ears)
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini (done the caviar, not the blini)
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill (that’s just unsanitary)
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess fruit pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant (Jean-Georges in NYC)
85. Kobe beef (might actually have been wagyu, but same thing basically)
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95Mole poblano
96Bagel and lox
97Lobster Thermidor
98Polenta
99Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
10 Snake

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you've made quite a dent on the list. I hope you get to try durian soon--the fresh ones! They are king of fruits for a reason!

    And hi, fellow Angeleno here! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was fun - I didn't do too badly either!

    ReplyDelete