Monday, June 13, 2011

Couscous for Breakfast?

I know I already posted today, and I'm in the middle of a series on our trip to Italy, but I just had to write about this, because I was somewhat flabbergasted. I made a couscous and vegetable dish the other night and cooked waaaay too much couscous. While I was pondering what do with it and lamenting out loud about the waste of good food, Todd looked up from his computer and said simply: "Put some aside in a bowl...I'll have it for breakfast tomorrow."


I was momentarily taken aback. Couscous for breakfast? Really? Anyone ever tried this? Is it more common than I think, and I was just out of the loop somehow? As a so-called "foodie," how is it I had never heard of eating couscous for breakfast before?

Per Todd's instructions - and a bit skeptically, I'll admit - a spooned a generous helping of couscous (I really had made quite a lot) into a bowl and stuck it in the fridge. The next day, after asking Todd what the heck I was supposed to do with a bowl of cold couscous, I dumped some milk into the bowl, followed by a generous squeeze of honey. Todd said he would eat it cold, but the couscous was all hard and lumpy, and just looked kind of gross swimming in the milk, so I stuck it in the microwave for a few minutes to heat it up some. Then, just to bring my own flourish to the dish, I sprinkled in some cinnamon before serving it up. To be honest, it still looked kind of gross (hence the absence of photographic documentation) and not like something I would choose for my breakfast, but Todd gobbled up the whole bowl, so I guess my first shot at making breakfast couscous was a success.

So, tell me - has anyone ever tried this before? Like oatmeal and other types of hot cereal (which is really what this is, with grain-like pasta standing in for an actual grain), I'm sure this dish is open to endless adaptation. How do you make yours? Now I'm intrigued - next time I make couscous I might just have to make an even bigger batch, so that there's enough left for breakfast for two.

No comments:

Post a Comment